Monday, October 21, 2013

Review: Sonia Kashuk Brush and Sponge Cleanser

So darlings, quick review to add some padding between Halloween posts! So a couple weeks ago I was target and the Sonia Kushuk section set out it's siren's song. I wound up getting the Brush and Sponge Cleanser, so let's see how it holds up!
(Yes I was still in Target When I took this.)

Alright so this is a deep cleanser for brushes (I was hoping it was a spot cleaner, not gonna lie) that claims to extend the life of your brushes by cleaning and conditioning them. Directions are as follows:

1.) Wet brush hair or sponge, liberally spray on Brush and Sponge Cleanser.
2.) With your fingers gently massage cleanser into brush hairs, or sponge to form a good lather.
3.) Rinse until water runs clear (You may need to repeat step 2 with sponges).
4.) Gently squeeze out excess water.
5.) Dry flat.

These instructions seem fairly straightforward to me, although I don't dry my larger brushes flat. I followed the instructions for the purpose of this review and these are my findings. Overall this is a very effective product. It cleaned a wide selection of brushes with different products. It's very good at getting stray pigment out of light colored brushes, I was excited to see the tops of my skunk brushes actually turn white! The one thing it wouldn't clean didn't surprise me. Something about my foundation (I believe it's Rimmel Lasting Finish's fault. It has a built in aqua primer.) will not come out of my brushes unless I use dish soap! But other then that it cleaned very well. Moving along, the conditioning agent seems to be working as well. My brushes feel very soft after washing, which is not always the case with natural hair brushes unfortunately. It also has a nice scent; it smells lightly herbal, like rosemary. It reminds me a little of Aveda products. As for extending the life of my brushes, that'll take more time to tell!

Do I like this product? Yes, definitely! However it is less cost effective than my normal cleanser (baby shampoo!) but it also softens a lot more. Also I'm not a huge fan of it being in a spray format. It's hard to aim, so I mostly wind up squirting it onto my hand and then dipping the brush in. 

You can find Sonia Kashuk Brush and Sponge Cleanser at target.com or select target stores for $6.99 USD

Thoughts, questions, comments? Let me know in the comments or on twitter @SpiceDropBlog!  I wanna know, how do you guys clean your makeup brushes, and how often?

No comments:

Post a Comment