Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Back To School Looks: Part I

Back to school is undeniably exciting, even if you aren't/ were never excited for the actual work part getting new clothes, books, and picking new classes always thrilling. Back to school gives you the chance to try new styles. Also I find office/ school supplies really fun, but that might just be me. XD
So the other day I was thinking about the first time I got actual makeup for myself for back to school. It was in sixth grade and I felt  very grown up and also very confused. I'm the eldest of my three siblings so unlike my younger sister I didn't really have some one to help me out.

So I made this tutorial for absolute beginners in mind. Girls who want to want to start using makeup, but don't want look overdone or be teased for wearing too much makeup. I did one completely natural look, and then one using color based on the first look to make it nice and easy. Also I tried to make this as cheap as I possibly could. There are a couple higher end/ non drugstore products in this, but any product over ten dollars I'll astrick* and they will be listed at the bottom and have cheaper recommendations.


Look 1:






(Please pardon my scary eyebrows.)


I think this makeup looks very youthful and natural, it boarders a no makeup look but is a little more polished. This is also good if you're school has a dress code with makeup limitations.

Face: Use a liquid foundation to create a smooth canvas. If you aren't comfortable with brushes yet I definitely recommend cosmetic sponges or your hands. (Just wash them before you start!) If you have oily skin I suggest you set this foundation with a powder, but don't powder all over. Just your t zone where you'll get the oiliest. Otherwise it might look really fake. 

Eyes: I started out with a primer (optional) spread all over my lids, and the with a fluffy brush I blended a shimmering nude color all over my lid. Then on a denser brush take a medium brown color and blend that lightly in the outer corners of your eyes, and through the crease, but not all the way only about half way and the blend slightly. (As you can see I have deep set eyes with a very defined crease, if you don't have a defined crease theres a fast way of learning where to shade: close your eye, and gently feel the upper curve of your eyeball with your finger. Thats where you shade.)  After this take a highlighting shade with that same fluffy brush and dust it across your brow bone. With a small brush (or your finger) gently place a shimmering white right in your inner corner to brighten your eyes. Then apply mascara to your upper and lower lashes.

Cheeks: One of my favorite tricks is to apply cream highlighter before adding powder blush. Just take a little on your (clean!) fingers and apply along your cheekbones. Then take the blush of your choice and apply it along the sides of the apples of your cheeks. I used a berry blush, which is recommend for this look. It'll set you apart as ready for fall with a cute flush. 

Lips: Use a natural looking pink lipstick. This will mean different things to different people depending on your coloring, so expriment. For example, my 'natural' are quite a bit darker/brighter then most pale girls because my lips are naturally very pigmented. So don't get caught up in the 'nude' of light pink trends if they don't look good on you! (Words of wisdom.)

Products Used:
(In order of application, and price)
Face: Rimmel Lasting Finish foundation ($5), theBalm sexy mama pressed powder* ($19)

Eyes: Too Faced Shadow Insurance* ($18), Nyx TS3 trio Nude and Brown colors ($7), Ulta Eyeshadow in Silk ($8), Maybelline Lash Stiletto Mascara ($6)

Cheeks: Mac Cream Color Base in Hush* ($17), Milani Red Vino Blush ($8)

Lips: E.l.f Lipstick in Seductive ($3)

Brushes Used:
(All the brushes I used are $3 e.l.f brushes.)
Kabuki brush, 'C' brush, Angled contour brush, Angled Blush brush. I also used a face secret cosmetic sponge for my foundation they're 80 for $6 at Sally beauty supply. 

Expensive Products Replacements:*
Powder: Hard Candy Welcome Matte ($6) or e.l.f Clarifying Powder ($1)
Primer: Nyx Eyeshadow Base ($7) or e.l.f Primer ($1)
Cream highlighters: e.l.f Shimmering Facial whip in Lilac Petal ($1) or Nyx Tango with Highlight Stick ($8.50)

No comments:

Post a Comment